Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mamma Mia




She'd been wanting to go back to the museum for a while. It was a miserable wet day today so we (and half of Sydney) decided to make the trek. A happy, unexpected bonus - an ABBA exhibition. Amidst the photos and costumes and other memorabilia, there was an opportunity to go onstage and sing, karaoke style, with projected animated images of the ABBA members. Some of the performances were hilarious, whole families with much-rehearsed renditions of 'Dancing Queen'. My girl had two goes - first with me and then with Daddy. Our go was a bit of a flop, but she was prepared the second time around. She went backstage, chose 'Mamma Mia' from the small selection, then walked confidently onstage and stood silently at the microphone as the soundtrack played and the Garbageman did the rowboat and other fine moves in the background. I cried with laughter. Then we got to the chorus and she clung to the microphone like she'd been performing onstage all her life and sung out in a clear voice, "Mamma Mia, here I go again, my, my, how can I resist you." And on and on. The song ended, the crowd applauded, she bowed and came off stage. It was one of the funniest and most endearing things I've ever seen. She's a natural!

I asked afterwards how she knew to sing into the microphone so well. She said she'd seen the man do it on the computer. It took a moment to realise she's talking about this - her latest favourite. Funny kid.

And after that, I'm feeling like queen of the housewives. I cleaned weeks worth of scunge out of the shower with nothing but bicarb soda. Amazing - it works so well! Then I cooked a scrummy Moroccan chicken tajine with roasted vege couscous. And then I sat in front of the telly and made some yo-yos. Yes, yo-yos. There was a time in my life when making a yo-yo was not even on my radar. But we have a 'flower' birthday party to go to tomorrow so what are you gonna do? Lola L-L-L-L-Lola...

1 comment:

  1. Ha! My forty year old radar is about twelve galaxies away from my thirty year old version. But both versions are way too chicken to even think ABBA karaoke. My hat is off to the three of you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...