Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Slow Burn and a Thriller


I'm kind of between projects. It feels a bit loose, a bit fancy-free. Of course, there are always works-in-progress, but most of them are off-season or destined for no-one in particular and so they remain "in progress", despite progressing nowhere fast. This week,  having finally finished that cardigan, I picked up my grass green scarf, left dormant in a bag in the cupboard where things go to wait. It's been a slow burn, this scarf, a few rows forward, a few months of nothing, a few rows forward, more months of nothing. But after a couple of evenings of conscientious clickety-clicking with the alpaca silk georgette, I've doubled the length and feel closer to the end than the start. Always a good feeling with a scarf. I still have a ball of yarn remaining, so it should be the perfect length by the time that's been whipped and beaten in. I'm loving the colour, and the pattern is finally imprinted on my brain so I don't have to constantly refer to my notes. I might even finish it before starting something else. Or not.

My conscientious reading from last week has suffered a setback in the popularity stakes, being forced to take a back seat in favour of something fast-paced and exciting and not conscientious at all - 'Before I Go To Sleep' by SJ Watson. I do so love a book that calls out to me all through the day, even though it knows I won't have a chance to read until late at night. It's annoying (especially when everyone else is calling out too) but so satisfying when the clock finally ticks over and everything is done and everyone asleep and the pages can start turning again.

Joining in with the lovely Yarn Along-ers again.

15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful color. I knit that pattern out of sock yarn which I had used for a pair of anniversary socks for my husband. (yes, we did have matching accessories) I love how the scarf turned out. Good luck on yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful scarf :) I love the emerald colour too (at least that is what I see on my screen lol).
    And I enjoy thrillers too- sometimes it is nice to just be able to read and 'get away' from it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color of your scarf is fantastic :) I just love the green. Enjoy your book to! It sounds like a really good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I love the pattern on the scarf. I hope to get that good someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when a book calls to me, but I do find that I tend to let the housework slide, forget to cook and forget to sleep if I'm really into it!

    Love the colour of your scarf, so cheery. And I know what you mean about the milestone of feeling nearer to the end than the beginning - such a relief with scarves

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to second what pinkundine said. If a book is calling me, I typically drop everything else to read it. Not entirely easy with two littles, but I make it work :-) That scarf is beautiful. I love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like my reading of late too! Morphing from something serious into something nonsensical but needed. Love your green grass scarf. I realized I had already bookmarked that pattern on Ravelry. Your name of it makes me think of that in-the-round song: "oh the green grass grows all around all around, oh the green grass grows all around..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love the green yarn-the scarf pattern is so airy and lacy! I love it when I have something memorized and do not have to stop and check :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. That scarf is too beautiful to go neglected! Maybe this will be the month you finish it. I also like books that cry out to me to be read throughout the day. Not all do, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes it's nice to come back to a project after a little break. Makes working on it new and exciting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. well first, do you know what a gorgeous writer you are?
    and then that scarf, the color and pattern, oh my my. i do know what you mean about it though, i have a similar habu one in my basket, in the bottom of my basket, that only gets pulled out ever so often. but you must finish this one. then if you don't like it, i know someone that will happily adopt it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful yarn. I dislike that in-between knits stage, having to decide what to start next from the hundreds of ideas floating in my mind....
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...